Sunday, August 8, 2010

Blistering Pace

My industrial park warm up loop left much to be desired as my legs felt heavy and my tires sticky. However, motivation is high for the home town race. I knew what had to be done. Reach the singletrack in the top ten. Job one complete.

Lap 1:
A bit tapped from the explosive climb I was passed by half a dozen riders on the high side of the course. Riding in the mid teens.

Lap 2:
Made a big effort on the start climb. Rallied the single track to tag along with Jesse and Chris.

Lap 3:
Steady pace and already running into heavy lap traffic. I can really feel the effort draining my power.

Lap 4:
Slowest lap by over a minute. Two falls from cross-eyed fatique and heat exhaustion. Straightened the handle bars at the water station. Lost my racing partners. Caught by small group of four. Recovered by end of lap.

Lap 5:
Small attack on the big climb. Split our small group. Pushed the limits of cornering speed and ended up limping in for a top 20 finish.

There is certainly a long way to go, but I feel a bit more horsepower may be coming around.
See you all at the big show!

No comments:

Post a Comment