Tuesday, August 17, 2010

O2S Adventures

We loaded up the VW on Friday morning for the long haul to da UP. Our crew made good time from RF as we cruised the north country roads. Our pre-ride worked out well this year with the two car shuttle system. As you know, there is a long paved road section in the middle of the race. This road is also home to one the largest climbs on course. We started our pre-ride at the bottom. Rick, Mark, Matt, Tj (the winner!) and I cut up the last 15 miles. There is certainly something to be said about riding down hill for over 10 miles. Along the way nature treated us to a near death black bear sighting and some speedy descents.

Morning of the race went well as we beat the racer rush to the local AM eats. As we drove by the start line things started to get real. I am not exactly sure why the triple crown races carry such a stigma, but it is always exciting to line up with the big boys for a point to point battle.

Bam! Things were started in usually fashion with contenders at the front cruising behind the "neutral" start. Don't let anyone fool you, this is not a roll out start. To our surprise there was also a VW-bug driving around the first corner! I started poorly, I suspect my warm up was not hard enough, however I made my way back to the top 10-15ish by the ski climb three miles in.

Ping! The tragic sound of my chain ending its' life at the start my first big race. I watched in dissapointment as it rolled from my chainring to the dirt below. Game over.

As I leaned against my bike, holding my chain in one hand, I couldn't help but wonder how often this really happens. It was the first time for me in seven years of racing.

Fortunately for me, Scott Cole came cruising up the climb just in front of the sweep quad. He had flated just 2 miles into the race. After removing the damaged link I added to insult by dropping the quicklink into the grass! I was on a roll, not really.

Rally, rally, rally trading pulls with Scott. Our two man time trial made up some good time for ninety minutes or so. At the very least I got some good tempo work in! At ten to go my bad luck struck again. I walked for a quarter mile as I watched riders roll by for the second time. Fortunately, there was another kind soul who stopped to help me out. Thank you Mr. Cole and Mr. Mix.

I rolled over the line at 3hours 12 minutes with a rolling ride time of 2hours 40mins. Not bad for Scott and I after an adventurous day in and out of the saddle.

All that being said, an enormous congratulations is in order for my friend and fellow speed racer, Travis Woodruff!! Good work bud!


The Porch Podium!

No comments:

Post a Comment